• Escambia Furniture Store

    Escambia Furniture Store was the place to shop for furnishings for homes and offices in the late 19th and early and mid-20th centuries.  Owner George B. Green welcomed all people to shop at this three story store prominently located 321 North DeVilliers Street, at the corner of Belmont and De Villiers Streets.  Dr. Booker T. Washington noted in 1907 in his …

  • Morris Funeral Home

    Joe Morris Funeral Home has stood at 701 North De Villiers Street and is spread from Gadsden Street to Cervantes Street since 1913.  It began as a home-styled funeral parlor and, according to Rhonda Pierce in her book De Villiers, was first operated by Joe’s father, Prince, who passed it to his two sons, Richard III …

  • Mt. Zion Baptist Church

    Mt. Zion is the leading Baptist church in the city, pronounced Dr. Booker T. Washington in 1907 in his book, The Negro in Business.  And the cornerstone bears the history: Organized in August 16, 1880. Rebuilt 1918. For Dr. Washington, the impact of the church on the blossoming city was evident: The edifice now occupied …

  • Jones Pharmacy

    Jones Pharmacy, located at 500 N. De Villiers Street, was owned and operated by Dr. Augustus “Gus” Jones.  Situated at the corner of De Villiers and LaRua Streets, the building previously housed the Pensacola Drug Company which was owned by Dr. H.G. Williams.  Another name associated with the building was the Phoenix Pharmacy.  The apothecary …